Sunday, May 18, 2014

Quite The Quandry

So here we are.

Over the past few months, I have been kicking around the idea of starting a blog around my brain.  The motivation to create one over this particular amount of time was wrought due to a confluence of events and realities that pushed me toward this one particular activity:

1. My admission into a new AmeriCorps program.  If I was to start writing, I wanted to have something interesting to potentially write about and I figured that this service opportunity in which I would go to different parts of the country could provide some interesting prompts to go off of;
2. A lack of any solid schedule in any one community.  Due to the nature of emergency management work, my team and I can be called to go anywhere at any time.  If the country needs us to assist with a disaster, we have to be available to go.  This circumstance creates a lack of knowledge of where or when I would be going next, which therefore precludes me from being able to commit to any community events that would otherwise occupy my time; and
3. A lack of funds to buy the equipment necessary to take part in other activities that I have an interest in.  I can't really afford to spend money on sports gear; video games and consoles; or cameras and editing software.

Thusly, creating a blog and writing for it was the natural-and, in some ways, the only-choice.

But what to write about?  Those who know me know that I have a great deal many interests and that I tend to be rather opinionated about all of them.  These interests include, but are not limited to: sports, music, movies, TV shows, live theater, video games, internet videos, food, books, comics, politics, religious discussions, chess, obscure references, the number 42, and that one episode of Pokemon with Clefairy in it.

Having so many interests is oftentimes a good thing (it is difficult for me to be completely bored, which is pretty nice).  However, there are times when it backfires.  For example, there are times where I get too involved with a discussion about a particular topic and I start to annoy the people with whom I'm discussing my point due to me not being able to shut up and them not being in the mood to deal with it.*  On top of that, having so many varied interests can also lead to indecision: paralysis via over-analysis, or, as I prefer to think about it:

"Sittin' in the front seat
Kickin' in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up;
Which seat can I take?"
-Unknown**

After contemplating this quandary off and on for a little while (living and working in DC with a bunch of other people your age does create distractions, after all), it struck me that all of these different topics were not truly different at all: they are my passions, and creating discussions around those passions is my number one hobby.  And writing about my favorite hobby once or twice a week is a petty solid foundation for a blog.

So here we are.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I will!

*This leads to another reason to start this blog:

5. The ability to get my full opinions out there without my friends becoming frustrated and telling me to stuff it.

**True quote source is Rebecca Black, in case you have lived under a Siberian rock so long that you think that it's still the USSR and you were cryogenically frozen only to be woken up for top secret assassination missions.


3 Comments:

At May 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Ronni said...

Yeah. I started mine because y'all were bored with my stories...

Don't mind me--carry on regardless!

 
At May 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

To be fair, if Putin has his way, the USSR might become a thing of the present rather than the past

 
At May 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Ronni said...

...Except it would all be just Russia!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home